Thursday, February 21, 2013

Emotional Roller Coaster...

On the morning of February 2nd I was in our office that we had just moved to our newly finished basement. I got up to go to the restroom (I know, shocking!) only to find water on the bathroom floor. I couldn't see where the water was coming from, I was bare foot and the water was freezing. After looking closer I noticed water by the door of the spare bedroom. I opened the door and found about 2 inches of water covering our brand new carpet that we had installed on January 21st. Once again I could not see where the water was coming from. I ran up stairs to tell Ryan about our flooded basement. We checked our pipes out side and still couldn't see where the main source of the problem was. We called my dad and father in law to come over and help us because we were at a loss on what to do. We noticed we had a stream of water running from the corner of our back yard to the house. We looked over the neighbors fence on the south side of us and their back yard was a pond. It also slopes towards our house so we thought maybe one of their pipes had broke. We knocked on the door but nobody answered. When Ryan hopped the fence to investigate he came up empty handed, however he followed the trail of water and found what looked to be a water hose running in our back door neighbor's backyard. My dad and I went over to our neighbor's house to inform him  that he had running water and it had started to flood our basement. Come to find out, he didn't turn off his sprinklers this year and had broke one of his pipes. We had no idea how long the pipe had been broken for. My dad turned off his water at the street to stop the flowing water. Sadly at this point we had so much water coming into our home through the foundation that the water had spread across the entire basement. We were at a loss on what to do because there was so much water and still a steady stream running to our house. We called our insurance agent and he recommended calling Class 1 Clean up. They were a couple of hours out before they could make it  to our house. In the mean time the water was slowing down because the supply had been shut off. So, Ryan, his dad, my dad and our friend Mike moved all our furniture upstairs to our family room and started using shop vacs to get the water out of the basement. They counted over 150 gallons of water they removed from the basement. Class 1 Clean Up finally arrived and they took over. They had to remove carpet, padding, and baseboards because they were ruined. They explained to us that they had measured 6" of water pressed against our foundation walls. They then drilled holes in the sheet rock and brought in big fans to drain out and dry up the moisture inside the walls. The 9 large industrial fans had to continue blowing for 3 days non stop. Since then we have not had any more water in our house, thank goodness! They laid down a chemical for anti mold and we are hoping to have our house put back together by the 15th of February. 

On February 6th we met with Dr. Draper for an ultrasound and to check the measurements of our babies. Baby A (Gage) and Baby B (Kenslee) are both growing big and healthy. Gage is measuring 3 lbs and 11 oz and Kenslee is measuring at 3 lbs and 15 oz. Gage is head down and is preparing for his delivery. Kenslee is laying sideways with her head on my right side and her little legs on the left. The position of the second baby doesn't really matter because they will be able to turn her when it's time to deliver. It is getting harder and harder to tell what we are looking at during out ultrasounds because our babies are so squashed together. However, we were able to get a few good profile pictures of Gage and a close up of his sweet little face. Kenslee on the other hand was being a stinker! We were only able to get a picture of her bum, foot and arm. We were not able to see her little face because she had her back to us and would not turn around for us.

Next on our agenda was a non stress test. They told us the test usually takes about 20 minutes and it measures my contractions, the babies' heart rates and their movements. Well, our test did not take 20 minutes. We were there for over 45 minutes! Gage was great during the majority of the test and we were able to measure his heart rate fairly easily. Kenslee on the other hand continued to be a stinker and refused to hold still. We spent most of the test fighting with her trying to get her heart beat on the monitor. Finally after a long period of time, they were able to get enough information with the little amount Kenslee had offered. I think we have a feisty little girl on our hands!!

After our non stress test we met with Dr. Langer. My weight gain is still minimal (I have only gained 11 lbs during my pregnancy) and my blood pressure was normal. Dr. Langer measured my stomach and I am measuring at 35 weeks, and I am currently at 30 weeks and 3 days. During my measurement I had a contraction that Dr. Langer felt and she asked me if I could feel it. I told her yes and that I could also feel it lower near my right hip. She was shocked that I could feel a contraction low and said "we better check your cervix". After having my cervix checked we received some unexpected news.... Dr. Langer informed us that I am "paper thin and dilated to a 4." Dr. Langer immediately told me I was on bed rest until the babies are born and that I was going to receive two shots of steroids to boost the development of our babies' lungs. I starting crying when Dr. Langer told us this news. It was a lot for me to take in and my first thoughts were that our house was not ready for the babies arrival. I was convinced that we were not ready for them, they were too small, and that I was not ready to be done with work. Ryan on the other hand was very excited because we were told several weeks ago that if the babies were born, they would be okay. I was in panic mode on Wednesday and I cried for most of the day. I decided to send my mom to get the babies a preemie outfit, some nursing bras for me, and a few other things I needed to get prepared for our hospital stay. Thank goodness for moms!! On Thursday, after having a day to absorb all the information we had just received, I became very excited to meet our precious little babies.  

February 8th was a really rough day. I was having strong, painful contractions that put me into tears. Around 3:00pm we decided to go to he hospital. I was hooked up to a machine to monitor the babies' heart rates as they started to do some tests. Come to find out I had a UTI and was dehydrated. This caused me to have false labor. They gave me a shot of antibiotics in my hip, a RX for an oral antibiotics. They told me to drink lots of water and juices and they sent us home. 

On February 13th we had a follow up appointment with Dr. Langer. We started out with a non stress test which went much better, and the babies heart rates were good. She checked my cervix again and said I am "completely thinned out and still dilated to a 4". Dr. Langer was pleased to see that there was not much change. She told us to watch for a "big gush of water" or "breath taking contractions." She also went over what we can expect during the delivery process. She explained to us how she will be there to deliver to the babies, and one of her partners will be there to ultra sound the babies during their delivery. She told us that each baby will have their own team of nurses and we will be delivering in the operating room because it is right next door to the NICU in the event that our babies may need any special attention. I am still on bed rest and will be until the babies are delivered or 34 weeks, which ever comes first! Ryan and I are so excited to become parents and meet our little babies!!

On a side note, Ryan's mom and sister threw us a baby shower on February 2nd. My mom, future sister in law Tiffany, and friend Janae threw us a baby shower on Febuary 9th. which I was lucky enough to attend, even though I was still on bed rest. I hung out on the couch with my feet up and Ryan was a trooper to come to the shower to open all the gifts! Ryan, the babies and I have so much support and are loved by so many people. It's simply amazing to see the turn outs we have had for our showers thus far! Our babies are already so spoiled! Ryan's step mom and sister came over to our house and spent 2+ hours going through all the baby gifts we had received because I was stressed over the fact that we couldn't even see the floor. We still have one more shower that Ryan's step mom and sister are throwing for us on the 26th of February, so something had to be done! Thank you so much to those of you who have taken the time, money and effort to throw us these amazing showers. We can not express our appreciation to you enough!

I also want to thank all of you who have been thinking of us over the last week. We have received several meals, text messages, phone calls and help here at home from so many of you. We greatly appreciate all of the unconditional love and support we have received during our journey to become parents!

No comments:

Post a Comment